Located on the Roanoke River, the town of Halifax developed into a commercial and political center at the time of the American Revolution. North Carolina's Fourth Provincial Congress met in Halifax in the spring of 1776. On April 12 that body unanimously adopted a document later called the "Halifax Resolves," which was the first official action by an entire colony recommending independence from England.

Start your visit to Historic Halifax at the visitor center with our museum and 13 minute film "Halifax: Hub of the Roanoke". During our regular hours of operation, a self-guided walking tour of the site includes several authentically restored and furnished buildings including the 1838 Jail, the 1790 Eagle Tavern and the Underground Railroad Trail. Historic Halifax frequently features costumed historical interpreters and craft demonstrations that bring the early history of the Roanoke Valley to life.

Hours and Location

Tuesday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Closed Sunday, Monday, and most major holidays

25 St. David St.
P.O. Box 406
Halifax, N.C. 27839


General site admission is free, however there is a small fee for each guided tour.  

Each Guided Tour: $2.00/adult, $1.00 seniors & children (6-12), Children 5 and under are free. 

Self-Guided Tours: Free

Schedule of Guided Tours*

  • 10:00am Montfort Archaeology Museum
  • 11:00am Burgess Law Office
  • 11:30 Taproom Tavern (with Colonial games activity)
  • 1:30pm Owens House
  • 2:15pm Clerks Office (with printing press demonstration)
  • 3:00pm Sally-Billy House                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               *Tour schedule will vary during events and special programming. Please call ahead to verify. 

 The following buildings and trails are open for self-guided tours on the following schedule. 

  • 10:00am-4:00pm 1838 Jail
  • 10:00am-4:00pm Eagle Tavern Exhibits
  • 9:00am-5:00pm Visitor Center Exhibits
  • Daylight Hours - Underground Railroad Trail 

Programs, Group Activities

Several annual events are held at Historic Halifax including: Halifax Day on April 12th, living-history events throughout the year, and a candlelight tour in early December.  

Group tours are available, including themed field trip options with hands-on activities. For details and to schedule, contact Frank McMahon, group tour coordinator, at frank.mcmahon@ncdcr.gov or call (252) 583-7191.  Group tour reservations should be scheduled at least three weeks in advance.

Group Reservations


Historic Structures

Furnished homes are the Owens House (1760), Sally-Billy Plantation House (1808), and the Burgess Law Office (1808). Other buildings include the Eagle Tavern (1790), Tap Room (1790), Clerk of Court’s Office (1833), Jail (1838), and the Montfort archaeological exhibit


Visitor Center

The visitor center features a 2,000-square-foot exhibit area and a thirteen-minute orientation program depicting the history of the first eighty years of Halifax and the surrounding area.


Trails, Monuments, Outdoor Exhibits

The Roanoke River overlook, a colonial cemetery, and an African American cemetery are all features of the site.


Handicapped Accessibility

The visitor center is accessible to all visitors. Historic structures all require the ability to negotiate steps.


Picnic Facilities

Fifteen tables are available at the site.


Gift Shop

A sales desk is located in the visitor center with a variety of souvenirs and books.