Site Maps

Site Layout

Map of Reed Gold Mine

Site Topography

Reed Gold Mine Site Topography

Historic Structures and Mine Features

Reed Gold Mine structures

Map Key

1. Garmon

24. Office, Kelly Co.

2. Miners' Houses

25. Stamp Mill, 1895-1903

3. Structures, ca. 1905

26. Eagle

4. Armstrong

27. Frederick

5. Graham

28. Tunnel III

6. Osborne

29. Sider

7. Bigger

30. Tunnel

8. Genet

31. Pigeon

9. Ervin

32. Bird

10. Timothy

33. Gilbert

11. Shaft with Extension Tunnel

34. Posselt

12. Morgan

35. Tunnel

13. Enginehouse Shaft

36. Brown

14. Mill and Enginehouse

37. Harrison

15. Powder House

38. Tunnel II

16. Craton

39. Gold Mill, ca. 1848

17. Tunnel—Open 1934-1971

40. Reed Mansion

18. Linker

41. Barn

19. Hartsell

42. Reed Cemetery

20. Arthur

43. Jesse Cox - 1889

21. Stables

22. Office

23. Shop

In the 1870s the ground between Little Meadow Creek and Yellow Branch was grown up with field pines of mine timber size. The ground east of Yellow Branch was heavily wooded with oak and pine.

Sources: August Partz map, 1854; map ca. 1870; Reed Mining Property map, 1923; Survey of Reed Gold Mine property, 1971; Deed of Conveyance, Armin Kelly from O. S. Kelly Co.; reconaissance of area, shafts, and tunnels.