The Lake Chapel

The Lake Chapel [excavated foundation 16' x 48'] was built around 1837 for the religious instruction of the enslaved community. The chapel was reputed to house the largest pre-Civil War Episcopal congregation in North Carolina. Between 1837 and 1868 (with a break between 1862 and 1865), the chapel's register names 55 marriages, 699 baptisms, 233 confirmations, 253 communicants, and 230 burials.