Overseers' House

overseers house

Built in 1955 at the site of the original double-pen, two-family Overseers' House, this conjectural reconstruction has modern features that reflect its use as a park ranger's residence until 1933. A minimum of two overseers and their families lived at Somerset Place during the antebellum period. One was called the "under-overseer." The location and orientation of the building provides important clues to an understanding of the overseer's housing in relationship to the enslaved community.

 

Overseer's House